Here are 2 very interesting articles on Barack’s strongly pro-Israel views: (1) Jeffrey Goldberg’s 5/12/08 Atlantic interview with Barack, including Barack’s statements that:
* [I have] enormous emotional attachment and sympathy for Israel, mindful of the hardship and pain and suffering that the Jewish people have undergone, but also mindful of the incredible opportunity…when people finally return to a land.
* The idea of a secure Jewish state is a fundamentally just idea, and a necessary idea…[providing a] sense of confidence and security…that the Jewish people can take care of themselves no matter what happens.
* The need to preserve a Jewish state that is secure…should be supported here in the U.S. and around the world.
* In my early political life in Chicago, one of the raps against me in the black community is that I was too close to the Jews.
* Hamas is…a terrorist organization and I’ve repeatedly condemned them…we should not be dealing with them until they recognize Israel, renounce terrorism, and abide by previous agreements.
* My commitment…to Israel’s security is non-negotiable.
* I was very adamant about Israel’s right to defend itself…there’s not a nation-state on Earth that would tolerate [what Hezbollah and Hamas have done and are doing].
* Nobody should mistake [my desire to open dialog with Iran] for a softer stance…you will not see, under my presidency, any slackening in commitment to Israel’s security. (2) Martin Peretz’s 5/13/08 New Republic article, including Marty’s statements that:
* [Part of the] campaign against Barack Obama [has been]…based on ridiculous and ridiculously false accusations.
* Obama’s own personal history and his political convictions predisposed him towards Israel.
* [Obama knows] there is a strong will to peace in Israel and among the Israelis. What is yet to be proven, Obama believes, is that there is a will, deep and wide, among the Palestinians. Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.